ATTENTION ALL MANAGERS. March 4th is right around the corner, and you know what that means: it’s time to once again show your employees how much you love them. That’s right, next Friday, March 4th, is Employee Appreciation Day. Hopefully you’re already recognizing your workforce year-round, but if you feel like your people could use a little ‘pick me up’ next week, we’re here to help.
Over the years, we’ve discovered that one of THE BEST ways to an employee’s heart is through his/her stomach. This is why we’ve compiled a list of the top 7 foods to surprise your employees with on Employee Appreciation Day.
The costs are minimal, but the ROI can be maximum! Employees in every industry will appreciate having a little something special to eat from their employers. Spending $100 (or even less!) is such a tiny investment, yet the smiles and comradery you’ll witness will be priceless.
Here’s our top 7 foods for Employee Appreciation Day 2016:
1) Donuts, bagels and cookies – Tried and true. Everyone loves having some sweets to pair with their morning coffee or tea. Swing by Dunkin Donuts on the way into the office for a few dozen donuts, or better yet, order a bunch of cool stuff from the local bakery. Croissants, muffins, sticky buns, cupcakes, etc. etc. Our mouths are already watering.
2) Create a breakfast cereal bar – This is a fun one. Pick up some paper bowls and plastic spoons, a few gallons of milk, and a variety of breakfast cereals. Set it up in your lunchroom in the morning so that employees are greeted with a ‘continental breakfast’ style buffet, where they can grab a quick bowl of cereal to start the day. Liven it up with some colorful kids cereals like Lucky Charms, Cocoa Puffs and Fruit Loops…or keep it business-like with Wheaties, Raisin Bran and Cheerios. The more variety, the better.
3) Healthy snacks – Fruits, vegetables, nuts and trail mix. I know these aren’t the most glamorous treats to plop onto the lunchroom tables. But, in the ever-growing health-conscious climate we live in, it makes sense to promote good health and wellness with some quality nutritious treats. Grab some fruit and veggie trays from the local supermarket on your way in. Healthy bodies, healthy minds.
4) Ice cream – Okay, back to the good stuff. Now who doesn’t like ice cream? Show of hands… Exactly. While it won’t quite work as a ‘first thing in the morning’ treat, ice cream works perfectly as an after lunch dessert. At Award Concepts, we’ve done everything from boxes of Dairy Queen dilly bars to full tubs of ice cream (complete with toppings like whipped cream and chocolate syrup). The choice is yours, but you can never go wrong with ice cream.
5) Popcorn cart – Rent an old school popcorn cart for the day and set it up in the cafeteria. Employees will enjoy having a buttery, salty snack to munch on throughout the day. Bonus: the office will smell like a movie theater all day long. At least we think that’s a bonus.
6) Pizza – Thin crust or deep dish? You make the call. Either way, a pizza party is an easy win. Mix it up with the toppings so that there’s something for everyone. And if you’re going this route, be sure to let your employees know ahead of time so they don’t make lunch plans for March 4th.
7) Hot dog stand – Maybe we’re biased at Award Concepts (many of us are born & raised Chicagoans), but free hot dogs are always a homerun. Set up a charcoal grill in the parking lot and fire it up! Grab the president/CEO and ask him to help with the cooking. It’ll amaze your employees when they see Mr. Suit & Tie flipping sausages for them. Set up a condiment table with all the fixings too (buns, mustard, relish, onions, tomatoes, etc.). It’s probably a good idea to have some ketchup on hand (even if it’s against our better Chicago-based judgement).
Whatever you decide to surprise your employees with this year, it’s the thought that counts. Make an effort to show your employees you care not only on Employee Appreciation Day, but every day.